I’m such a strong believer in the idea that you have to see yourself the way you want to be. Stronger, faster, thinner, happier, whatever. If you look at yourself in your mind’s eye and say I am strong, then your chances of actually being strong are much higher. The power of positive thinking, baby.
Obviously I know this is not a ballistic new concept for the human race. But for me, this paradigm of positivity struck while I was sitting on London’s Tube, the bustle of train culture happening all around me, and I looked up into the window opposite me. The window must have been tilted to such a degree that it slightly warped my reflection. Suddenly, my face was a bit leaner – I couldn’t believe how good I looked. My travel companions continued ranting on about this and that, while I had a quiet epiphany on that train. See who you want to be. I sat, staring, entranced by my own beauty and finesse. Of course, the delusion wore off rather quickly when I turned my head to another reflective surface and realised that I hadn’t magically morphed into a supermodel. But the thought stuck. See who you want to be.
And what do I want to be today? I want to be a strong woman. A woman with that fightin’ spirit. I want to see beyond the wall to the freedom that I know exists, and I want to be a person who can set herself the necessary goals to achieve that freedom.
And this blog? Well, it’s really just another reflective surface, right? So here I am, looking at myself, and seeing strength. Seeing a fighter. Someone who can make tough calls, not take no for an answer, and take steps in the right direction, no matter how confronting and scary it might be.
The road is long and narrow, with many potholes and obstacles. But today, I see a woman who can sit in the driver’s seat and manoeuvre craftily around them. And when I can’t? Well, that’s when I ask for help. Help from my husband, our family, my amazing friends. I talk it out.
When the time comes, I want to be ready. I want to be able to face my demons head on and kick their asses. And when I do? You can call me doctor Skovron. I will have slaved over the study of kickin’ demons’ asses to the extent that I’ll be the authority on the topic. People will come from far and wide to ask me how I do it. And I’ll look at them, slow smirk spreading across my face, and tell them, see who you want to be. See who you want to be.
There are many projects on the horizon, and hectic times-a-lurkin’. And I couldn’t be more excited. I mean, bring on the challenges, the difficulties and frustrations, because I’ll be here, bandages tied, boxing gloves on, with two big black war stripes painted on my face. I’m not kidding. I’ve got that fightin’ spirit. Hard core.
-- R.
No comments:
Post a Comment